As the Easter festivities approach, we know how important inclusion and family time is. Known for an easy excuse to gobble down all the chocolate treats possible, Easter can be a tasty time. Unfortunately, our loved ones with diabetic ailments have to watch their sweets intake; so we’ve created an easy, diabetic-friendly chocolate mousse recipe that your diabetic loved ones can enjoy!
What You’ll Need:
This recipe serves 2-4 people, depending on how much you can hold back!
400mL chilled, Canned Coconut Milk
We used Grace Organic Coconut Milk, but any brand will do.
1-2 tbsp, Sugar-Free Icing Sugar
We used Swerve The Ultimate Sugar Replacement – Icing Sugar. This is an Erythritol Sweetener. There are several other varieties of sugar-free icing sugars, including:
- So Nourished Powdered Erythritol Sweetener
- So Nourished Powdered Monk Fruit Sweetener with Erythritol Confectioners
- Sukrin Melis Powdered Sugar Substitute – All Natural Erythritol Sweetener With Stevia
A small handful of Unsweetened Chocolate Chips
We used Lily’s Sweets Dark Chocolaty Premium Baking Chips
2 tbsp sifted, Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
We used Everland Organic Cocoa Powder
The day before you begin preparing your diabetic-friendly mousse, make sure to put your coconut milk in the fridge. We want it to be chilled and separated before we use it in our recipe.
- Carefully remove your coconut milk from the fridge, making sure not to shake it. Remove the top, thickened layer and place in a mixing bowl. You can add a little bit of the liquid below if you prefer a pudding texture. Keep in mind, you only need a tiny bit of liquid to do this. We suggest slowly adding a teaspoon at a time until you’re happy with the consistency.
- Add in 1-2 tablespoons of icing sugar, depending on how sweet you like your treats. Mix on high for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons of sifted cocoa powder into your mixing bowl. It is important to sift it, as we want the consistency to be smooth without clusters of powder. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add your mousse to a dish of your choice. Add in as many chocolate chips as you wish. In our recipe, we added 12 chocolate chip pieces.
Now you’re ready to enjoy your treat!