Here are some helpful tips on how seniors can apply self-managed care funding.
Self-managed care funding is an alternative option for many services. In addition, Alberta Health Services provides it. For example, you can replace personal care, home support services and respite care with self-managed care. In other words, the program provides resources for you to directly pay for and manage your personal care. This includes home care support services. Furthermore, this includes the respite category and recreation needs. Meaning this funding covers attending private Adult Day Programs.
Professionals lead structured private adult day programs in a licensed facility. Most notably, these programs are a form of non-medical, specialized care for seniors. Specifically those who have chronic illnesses, mobility challenges and/or cognitive impairments.
How do I access self-managed care to attend a private adult day program?
- Firstly, if you receive care through Alberta Health Services, you need to ask your Case Manager to transfer to self-managed care.
- Secondly, if you are not receiving care, you can self-refer, or have a third-party provider refer you, through the intake line at (403) 943-1920.
- Finally, if you are unsure about this option, you can inquire through the intake line (403) 943-1920 if self-managed care is right for you. In addition, you can attend an information session.
How much does self-managed care funding cover for the cost of care?
- The dollar amount is decided on a case-by-case basis.
- However, a day program is considered a better use of the money overall. For example, self-managed care funding has 3 times more coverage than home care.
- If full-time care is required, then there is no limit and it is up to the case manager to decide.
What are your benefits?
- You have a greater say over who provides your care and when. In other words, your care is tailored to your specific needs.
What resources are available to help me with the paperwork?
- Financial planners can help. We recommend Jill Chambers with Financial Concierge Inc. She assists with completing application forms.
- Similarly, Jill manages receipts and required reporting.
- Resources, such as Jill, can help you explore options without the worry of paperwork.